Applying Special Purpose Frameworks in State and Local Governmental Financial Statements
This practice aid is intended to provide accounting and auditing professionals with guidelines and best practices to promote consistency and for resolving the difficult questions of special purpose framework application, specifically for the financial statements of state and local governments. Although this practice aid is the best source for such guidance, it is nonauthoritative and should not be used as a substitute for the preparer’s professional judgment.
This publication is not intended for use by governments that are required by law, regulation, contract, or policy to prepare financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
Key Benefits Include:
- Clarified and additional guidance and practice points related to the treatment of defined benefit pension plan and OPEB benefit costs
- Additional practice points on accounting and reporting issues related to the timing of payroll payments and the impact of the use of special purpose frameworks on single audit low risk auditee status
- Refinements to illustrative auditor reports and an added illustrative auditor report dealing with financial statements presented using both GAAP and special purpose frameworks
- GASB Statement No. 68, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Pensions
- GASB Statement No. 77, Tax Abatement Disclosures
Who Will Benefit:
- Auditors for state and local governments
- Financial statement preparers for state and local governments