Statement on Auditing Standards No. 128, Using the Work of Internal Auditors
As a result of its Clarity Project, the Auditing Standards Board (ASB) has issued Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) No. 128, Using the Work of Internal Auditors, to
- supersede SAS No. 65, The Auditor's Consideration of the Internal Audit Function in an Audit of Financial Statements (AICPA, Professional Standards, AU sec. 322 and AU-C sec. 610), and
- SAS No. 122, Statements on Auditing Standards: Clarification and Recodification, section 315, Understanding the Entity and Its Environment and Assessing the Risks of Material Misstatement (AICPA, Professional Standards, AU-C sec. 315);
- Various other sections in SAS No. 122 (AICPA, Professional Standards, AU-C secs. 200, 220, 230, 240, 260, 265, 300, 402, 500, 550, and 600); and
- Statement on Quality Control Standards No. 8, A Firm's System of Quality Control (Redrafted) (AICPA, Professional Standards, QC sec. 10).
SAS No. 128 addresses the external auditor's responsibilities when using the work of internal auditors if it includes (a) using the work of the internal audit function in obtaining audit evidence and (b) using internal auditors to provide direct assistance under the direction, supervision, and review of the external auditor.
Consistent with International Standard on Auditing (ISA) 610 (Revised 2013), SAS No. 128 introduces the concept of a systematic and disciplined approach, which is not included in SAS No. 65. Paragraph 13 of SAS No. 128 would require, among other things, as a prerequisite to being able to use the work of the internal audit function, that the external auditor evaluate the application by the internal audit function of a systematic and disciplined approach, including quality control. Paragraphs A12 – A14 of SAS No. 128 provide application guidance with regard to the application of a systematic and disciplined approach. The ASB believes that relative to SAS No. 65, this requirement represents an additional and explicit evaluation that the external auditor would need to perform to conclude on the appropriateness of using the work of internal auditors.
SAS No. 128 was developed using ISA 610 (Revised 2013) as a base. Differences in objectives, definitions, or requirements between SAS No. 128 and ISA 610 (Revised 2013) are identified in the exhibit to SAS No. 128.
SAS No. 128 is effective for audits of financial statements for periods ending on or after December 15, 2014.
Information about the eBook option
If purchasing this title as an eBook, please note that it is intended for a single user. An eBook is a downloadable file that will be accessible immediately after completing your purchase. Access to the download link expires 180 days from the purchase date. Download the file before this time elapses. Before downloading your eBook, you must:
- Download and activate Adobe Digital Editions®- a free program for accessing eBooks
- Return to the AICPA Store and go to My Account > My Downloads
- Click the eBook title to download and open automatically in Adobe Digital Editions
Note: To access your eBook on a smartphone, tablet or other reading device, see our FAQ. This product is refundable within 10 days of your purchase date. For more information about this product or service concerns, please contact the AICPA Store Service Center at email@example.com or call 888-777-7077.