Accounting Methods and Periods - Tax Staff Essentials
Save when you buy the complete Tax Staff Essentials, Level 2 online bundle.
This CPE course provides you with an overview of the various factors considered for the determination of the proper accounting method (such as cash, accrual) and provides detailed examples of court rulings and client examples (for specific industries) involving each. The course also discusses accounting periods, and considerations for changes in the accounting period of an entity. In addition, this resource provides a case study and example tax forms to highlight how to identify which IRS Revenue Procedures are applicable to a given client situation, as well as how and when to prepare the Form 3115.
- What constitutes a method
- Cash versus accrual
- Automatic changes
- Changes needing permission
- When and how to change a method
- How to account for the change in method
Learning ObjectivesThis course will prepare you to:
- Recognize when the use of the cash method is appropriate
- Understand and apply the basic rules for a change in accounting method
- Choose a proper accounting period under the federal tax rules
- Identify which IRS Revenue Procedure(s) provides the guidance for a given scenario for a taxpayer to change their accounting method with the IRS
- Prepare the Federal Form 3115 – Application for Change in Accounting Method and understand how and when this form should be filed by the taxpayer
Advanced Preparation: None
Tax Section Members Receive Additional Savings!
When you log into this website with your AICPA member user account, the section/credential discount will be automatically applied during checkout. Should you have any questions or encounter any issues, please contact the AICPA Service Center at 888-777-7077 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more information on the Tax Section.
About the Publisher