Real-World Business Ethics
Requirements for CPE in ethics vary from state to state. Please contact your state board to confirm your requirements.
Ethical lapses are often caused by misunderstandings, inattention, or a lack of knowledge. In this CPE course, learn how you can be proactive and adopt policies and procedures that minimize risk. You will also learn about common pitfalls and how to avoid them and examine case studies based on actual litigation and administrative proceedings that involve CPAs in public practice and in industry. You'll discuss issues involved in real-life proceedings. Develop a keen awareness of the issues and a heightened sensitivity for the types of ethical dilemmas you could face in the future.
This course will prepare you to:
- Identify common accounting, auditing, and regulatory issues related to revenue recognition
- Identify how management integrity issues play directly into audit scope and procedures used by forensic investigators
- Recognize valuation risks associated with certain types of investment securities, and the complexities of establishing proper valuation procedures
- Identify procedures for investigating and reporting financial irregularities when faced with corporate crisis, such as insider trading
- Recognize the relationship between responsibilities of the audit and the audit committee, with regard to whistleblower programs
- Identify the ethical obligations of CPA tax professionals under the Standards for Tax Services
- Analysis of ethical requirements and considerations
- Fact patterns from situations faced by CPAs in public practice
- Special ethical issues in select reporting and disclosure areas: off-balance sheet financing, related party transactions, revenue recognition, materiality, loan and lease loss reserves, restructuring charges, and independence
- Key Issues in civil and regulatory actions
- Effect of changes in disciplinary procedures and oversight
- SEC enforcement proceedings and their implications
Who Will Benefit?
- CPAs in public practice who provide financial accounting and reporting services
- CPAs in public practice who audit both private and publicly held companies
About the Publisher