Selected Topics in Professional Ethics
As a member of the AICPA, you must adhere to the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct. Compliance with the code helps you retain the confidence of the public, your clients, and your peers. Failure to comply could lead to enforcement action against you and your firm and result in a variety of sanctions. This CPE course describes the basic tenets of ethical and professional conduct, covering the principles of ethics, and explains why the code is necessary and how it is organized. You will learn how to identify, describe, and respond to conflicts of interest, how to apply ethics rules in your tax practice, and when to maintain client confidentiality.
This course will prepare you to:
- Recognize the structure and content of the AICPA Ethics Codification, including the underlying principles
- Apply AICPA rule interpretations on integrity, objectivity, confidentiality, and advertising, including where applicable, using the conceptual framework approach
- Recall the conceptual framework approach embedded in the Codification
- Recall the obligations to exercise due professional care, comply with professional standards, and be competent in performing professional services
- Identify acts discreditable to the profession
- Recall the AICPA requirements applicable to tax services, including the Statements on Standards for Tax Practice (SSTS), IRS Circular No. 230, and IRS preparer penalty provisions
- The ethical decision-making model
- AICPA Code of Professional Conduct
- The conceptual framework approach
Who Will Benefit?
- CPAs looking to better understand the ethics rules related to non-attest services
About the Publisher