|Getting Started: What you need to know about AICPA eBooks|
First, download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to your PC or Mac.
After you've installed and activated Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), you can start shopping.
Tip: Download a free eBook sample to ensure you can access it on your computer.
Step-by-step tutorial for installing, ordering and accessing eBooks
1. What is an eBook?
An eBook is an electronic/digital version of a printed book (some eBooks are exclusively digital). Your eBook can include content that is available in the printed publication, and possibly additional items, such as web page links, and interactive content. On occasion, an eBook may also contain updated content that became available after the printed version of the book went to press.
2. How soon after purchasing an eBook can I begin using it?
Most AICPA eBooks are available on the My Downloads page immediately after completing your online purchase. If you pre-order an eBook, its link will appear on the My Downloads page after the eBook has been published. eBooks download quickly on high-speed Internet, mobile and Wi-Fi connections. Be sure to first download and install Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE) if you have not already done so. Note: ADE is a FREE program; no cost or fee is involved to install and use it.
3. How do I know which AICPA books are available in eBook format?
The special eBook store page lists all AICPA publications available as eBooks (including free eBook samples). We are rapidly expanding the selection of eBook titles you can purchase through the AICPA Store.
4. Why do I need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to read my eBooks?
AICPA eBooks are based on the ADE Digital Rights Management (DRM) platform. Adobe’s DRM provides secure encryption for your eBook purchases and protects you from someone trying to copy an eBook that you purchased without your permission. It also protects author and publisher copyrights and distribution rights.
Note: After installing ADE, you will also need to create an Adobe ID with a valid email address, if you don’t already have one. Before you can read any AICPA eBook, you must first download and install Adobe Digital Editions to your PC or Mac.
5. If I already have Adobe Digital Editions installed on my computer, do I need to install it again?
No. If Adobe® Digital Editions is already installed on your computer and authorized with your Adobe ID, you do not have to install it again; you are ready to start ordering and downloading eBooks from the AICPA Store.
6. Before I place my first order, is there a way to do a test download?
Yes. After installing Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE), we strongly recommend that you download one of our free eBook samples to ensure you can read the eBook on your computer or other supported reading device. If you’re able to open and read your eBook, you can start shopping immediately. Download a free eBook sample now or download a free eBook from the Adobe® Digital Editions Sample Library. If your copy of Adobe® Digital Editions is properly installed and set up, you should be able to download and then immediately read any of these free eBooks. If you experience problems installing ADE or accessing your free eBook, please see Adobe.com's FAQ and support page for help.
7. What happens after I download an eBook?
If Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE) is properly installed, the eBook title that you download will instantly appear in your ADE download library. It should open automatically and you can begin reading immediately. If you have downloaded multiple titles, you will be able to select the title you want to read.
8. How long does it take to download an eBook?
Download times will vary based on the size of the eBook and your Internet connection speed.
9. Can I print my eBooks?
Generally, you are allowed to copy, paste, and print up to 50 pages initially. You may print additional pages later as they accrue 1 page per day (up to a maximum accrual of 50 pages). Note that some restrictions may vary per eBook publication.
10. What are the supported devices and software requirements for Adobe Digital Editions?
AICPA eBooks can be opened and read on a wide range of devices that support Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE), including PCs and Macs. To make sure your computer or reading device can run the program, see the minimum software requirements. See the question below for instructions on accessing your eBooks on other supported devices.
11. Can I access my eBooks on an iPad, Android tablet, or other mobile device?
Many reading devices are supported by Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE). However, if you want to read your eBooks on a device other than your PC or Mac, you must still first download and install ADE on your PC or Mac. Once you have installed ADE on your computer, follow the step-by-step instructions for your reading device below.
iPad and iPhone: Connect the device to a PC or Mac that has ADE software installed and authorized. Then download the AICPA Reader from the iTunes App Store. Bluefire Reader must be installed and authorized using your ADE credentials. Next, download the eBook file to your PC or Mac and open it in ADE. Connect your iPad or iPhone to your PC or Mac. Open iTunes and use File Sharing to transfer the eBook to your iPad or iPhone. For more information, please consult the iTunes File Sharing Help.
Android tablets and mobile phones: Download the Bluefire Reader from the Google Play. Bluefire must be installed and authorized using your ADE credentials.
Note: At this time Amazon Kindle is not currently supported by ADE.
NOOK, Sony Reader, and other supported eReader devices: Connect and authorize your device on a PC or Mac that has ADE software installed and authorized. Download the eBook file to your PC or Mac and open it in ADE. Then connect your device to your PC or Mac. The device should be displayed under Bookshelves on the left side of the ADE interface. Transfer the file to your device by dragging and dropping the eBook file onto the device's icon. Note: For Nook users, go to “My Library” then “Go to My Documents” to access your publication(s).
Need more information? Consult your device's manufacturer, or read the following:
12. After placing an order, how do I download my eBook?
Most AICPA eBooks are available on the My Downloads page immediately after completing your online purchase. If you pre-order an eBook, the link will appear on the My Downloads page after the eBook has been published.
After you complete an online eBook order, on the AICPA Store, go to My Account > My Downloads. Click the title of the eBook, and click "Open" when prompted. Your eBook will open in Adobe Digital Editions and will be listed in your library. Be sure to first download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) before downloading an eBook.
13. How do I make sure eBooks open in Adobe® Digital Editions?
To access AICPA eBooks, you must use Adobe® Digital Editions (ADE). To set ADE as the default program for eBook files, see the following instructions:
- Open the folder that contains the file. (The default location is Libraries > Documents > My Digital Editions)
- Right-click on the epub file. In the menu that appears, point to "Open with" and then click "Choose default program."
- Select "Adobe Digital Editions."
- If desired, click "Change All" so the computer will use ADE to open all epub files in the future.
- If you want all epub files to open in Adobe Digital Editions in the future, select the check box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."
- Click OK.
- Open the folder that contains the file. (The default location is Libraries > Documents > My Digital Editions)
- Right-click on the epub file. In the menu that appears, click "Properties."
- On the "General" tab, click "Change."
- Select "Adobe Digital Editions." This change will automatically cause all epub files to open in Adobe Digital Editions.
- In Finder, locate the epub file. (The default location is Documents > My Digital Editions.)
- Control-Click on the epub file. A menu of options should appear.
- Select "Get Info" from the menu.
- An info panel should pop open. Expand the "Open With:" section and select Adobe Digital Editions from the drop down. If desired, click "Change All" so the computer will use ADE to open all epub files in the future.
14. How long is the download link available?
The download link for most AICPA eBooks will be active for 180 days after the purchase date. Sign in to your account, go to "My Account", and click the "My Downloads" tab to access your purchased eBooks.
15. How many devices can be authorized for accessing my eBooks?
Up to 6 devices (PC, Mac, iPad, Nook, etc.) can be authorized to view an AICPA eBook at any given time. You can, however, de-authorize a device if you want to authorize a new device.
16. Are there any usage restrictions that I need to know about with regard to eBooks?
Yes. AICPA eBooks utilize Digital Rights Management (DRM) that is built into Adobe® Digital Editions. DRM allows the publisher to set security and usage settings, which may restrict or limit how many pages users can print, copy, and download. Usage and security settings for each eBook may vary. You can view DRM settings for your eBook through the Adobe® Digital Editions program.
Generally, you are allowed to copy, paste, and print up to 50 pages initially. You may print additional pages later as they accrue 1 page per day (up to a maximum accrual of 50 pages).. Other restrictions and rights appear in the table below:
|AICPA eBooks Usage Restrictions & Rights|
|# of days you can download eBook from our web site||180 days|
|Maximum # of devices that can be authorized to view eBook at any given time||6|
|Copy/Paste/Print limit||50 pages initially. You may print additional pages later as they accrue 1 page per day (up to a maximum accrual of 50 pages).|
|Allow editing of text?||No|
|Allow copying of images, tables, diagrams, art work?||Yes
This counts as part of the copy/paste/print page limit.
Note: Some restrictions may vary per eBook publication.
17. Are there any copyright or distribution restrictions associated with eBooks?
Yes. Copyright and distribution law and all associated restrictions apply universally to both printed paper books and eBooks. The following are some of the more important copyright and distribution restrictions you should know:
At this time, orders for eBooks can be placed only online through the AICPA Store. Phone and paper orders for eBooks are not accepted at this time.
You cannot give away an eBook or transfer the user rights to another individual, group, or organization if it has been purchased under your name. eBooks cannot be shared with your staff. Each member of your staff must purchase and download a separate copy of the eBook.
You are not allowed to sell, lend, or distribute your eBook to another user, group or organization.
You cannot republish or market an eBook. You cannot distribute an AICPA eBook as a free promotional item or sell it for a profit.
Other restrictions may apply. See the User Agreement.
18. Why am I restricted to a specific number of pages that I can print, copy or paste at any single time?
To protect the rights of authors and publishers, most eBooks limit how much text you can copy, paste, and print.
19. Why are some tables, charts, and images rotated?
In some eBooks, certain tables, charts, and images had to be rotated sideways to ensure compatibility with a wide range of reading devices. To view these items right-side up on a portable reading device, first make sure “auto-rotate” is turned off or locked. Then simply turn the device in your hand to view the table or image.
On many PCs, you can use the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow keys to rotate your screen display. If this does not work, make sure your screen display position is not locked. (This setting's location varies in different operating systems. For example, on a Windows 7 PC, right click the Windows Desktop, select Graphics Properties, click on Display Settings.) Support for screen rotation is limited on Mac computers.
20. Before purchasing an AICPA eBook, will I be able to see if there are any distribution, printing, copying, pasting restrictions or other security settings that apply to this eBook?
Yes. The default usage restrictions and/or security settings that will affect your use of an eBook are noted above in section 16. Exceptions are noted on the eBook’s product page and/or the User Agreement that you must accept before completing your eBook purchase.
21. What is the Return/Refund Policy for eBooks?
AICPA 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Refund Policy: If you are not satisfied with your eBook, for any reason, please contact the AICPA Store Service Center at 1-888-777-7077 (9am - 5pm ET, Monday – Friday) or firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days of your purchase date and we will refund the full purchase price.
22. Where can I find and read the User Agreement?
Prior to completing your AICPA eBook purchase, you will be prompted to read and accept the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement. To read the document now, go to AICPA eBooks End User License Agreement.
23. If I have a question that is not answered on this page, where can I get additional help or information?
Go to the Contact Us page in the AICPA Store and click on the Product or Order Inquiry link. Complete the online form and then click Submit. Or, call the AICPA Store Service Center at 1-888-777-7077 (9am - 6pm ET, Monday – Friday). You can also send an email to email@example.com. Please have your eBook order information handy, including any confirmation e-mails you may have received.